Thursday, October 28, 2010

Simple Salad


I'm traveling to PA for a wedding tomorrow, so I needed something quick and easy tonight! I thought this would be a good time to share my go-to meal - a simple salad. For me, a salad needs a lot of veggies (the more the merrier) and one protein. Tonight we used shrimp. I should warn you, I never measure this meal out, so I'm going to guess! I usually end up with two hefty portions. Brian finishing one and a half of them :) Rudy, I saw your last comment - he's digging the paleo!

Ingredients - Serves 2-3
3/4 of a bag of trader joe's frozen shrimp
2 handfuls of arugula
2 handfuls of spinach
1 cup of red cabbage (chopped)
4 mushrooms (chopped)
cherry tomatoes (as many as you like, I am generous)
cayenne pepper
vinegar
1 tbsp coconut oil

I start the shrimp first, placing them into a frying pan on medium-high. When they start to thaw, water collects in the pan, so I strain that out. I then add the coconut oil and cayenne pepper (each shrimp gets a sprinkle) for flavoring. Turn to low and let them simmer while you chop your veggies.

Working quickly, I chop all my vegetables and add them to the spinach and arugula. Arugula has a slightly bitter taste, so make sure you like it before adding it to the mix! I love it!! I typically tear the spinach leaves apart with my hands, because they can be pretty big. The red cabbage I chop up, it adds a nice crunch. The mushrooms are chopped as well, but cherry tomatoes I leave whole.

At this point, you should have all your veggies mixed and shrimp should be about ready. I take my vinegar and mix it in with the veggies - you want to make sure they are coated, but not drenched. I will sometimes add a little dash of oil to, in order to cut the vinegar, but often times, I will skip the oil if I cooked my protein in oil.

Put your salad on the plate first and top with your protein!
Other items I've added to this: Pine nuts or pecans, avocado, chicken (instead of shrimp), green cabbage, jalapenos, onion, cilantro. Like I said, the more the merrier! You really can't go wrong.

Today's Food Log
Breakfast
2 hard boiled eggs, 3 celery sticks (small)
1 coffee with heavy whip
Lunch
1 serving Shepards Pie
Snack
12 baby carrots (they were very small)
2 small celery sticks
Dinner
Simple Salad
1/2 Delicata Squash for dessert (I'll post this recipe tomorrow, so easy and so good)

Workout Log
Tuesday's workout
Clean and Jerk 1RM - New PR 135
The first time I did this weight tonight, it was ugly. I went to 140 and pressed it up, so I went back down to really get it solid. I need to get faster and really lock my arms.

WOD: 11:39 (I think)
4rds
400M run
15 Thrusters at #45
I liked this one!
Post WOD - 2 minute handstand - ouch.

1 comment:

  1. Happy to hear Brian is open to eating and liking paleo! I enjoy a simple salad as a go to meal too usually. Sometimes, when JJ and I get really hungry, we think up all the foods we want to eat out. Then, we settle on a salad and are always happy we stuck with that!
    Have fun in PA! Will miss you at the party!

    ReplyDelete