Sunday, October 17, 2010

I heart food


I heart food. Not just good food, but food that is GOOD for YOU. I was always the kid that ate all of her vegetables off her plate. My mom didn't have to hold dessert over my head to get me to do it. I of course, still ate the dessert after I was done....but the veggies always came first and lots of them. Making my way through highschool and college, I would always hear from my girlfriends, "getting salad again"? Yes, I am getting salad again, why not? I like it! ALOT!

Granted the salads I ate pre-paleo challenge, are not the same salads I eat now. The former were loaded with cheese and dressing the latter have been mostly veggies, veggies and more veggies plus some sort of protein - hardboiled egg or lean meat/fish. Now I can actually taste the vegetables! Nonetheless, I think the habits my mom instilled in me at a young age have really helped me to lay the groundwork for healthy eating in my adult life. But now, it's really time to clean up my kitchen. No more refined sugars and grains, no more salt, no more high-glycemic carbohydrates, and no more processed foods

I've been eating paleo for 6 days now and I feel great! I've noticed a lot of the bloating that I feel after meals has gone down significantly and I'm looking forward to really leaning out. I'm still working on my portion sizes, but overall, things are going pretty well and I'm enjoying the new recipes that I get to try.

As we head into our second week, I wanted to take the time to set up this blog so that I can share the new recipes I work on in conjunction with this paleo challenge. I'm going to warn you, I like spice....I put cayenne pepper on almost everything, I love jalapenos, serranos and am known for my 4Pepper-5Alarm chili (mostly known by my family, but still :). Things are going to get hot!

On this morning's menu:
four egg whites
diced jalapeno
1 cup of sauteed rutabaga
coffee with a dash of coconut milk

After feeling so good during yesterday's urbanathlon run, I am thinking of taking advantage of this weather and going for a run. Need to enjoy Fall while we still can!

1 comment: