Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Acorn Squash makes me happy


Tried this recipe for the first time last week. It is perfect for a cold fall night. The recipe makes 2 servings, but I made double because I had 2 acorn squashes in my CSA that week. Worked out great as I was then able to take one serving to work the next day. It re-heats well!

The original recipe called for 1 apple chopped, but I subbed this for jalapeno. I'm a big fan of the sweet and spicy mix, but I think either would be delicious!

2 Servings
1 small acorn squash
6-7oz. ground lean turkey or beef
1 jalapeno
1 small onion
2 cloves garlic
paprika, cinnamon, cayenne pepper (whatever other spices you'd like to add)

Cut the acorn squash in half. With a spoon, dig out the seeds and pulp like you would a pumpkin. Cut a flat spot on the bottom of the squash so it sits on the pan. Preheat the oven at 400 degrees and place both halves in face up. I sprinkled some paprika and cinnamon on both sides before baking for 25 minutes.

While the squash is cooking, brown your meat in a skillet, adding the onion, jalapeno and spices. I used a whole jalapeno and half of the seeds, for just a little kick. After 25 minutes, remove the squash and fill the cavity with the meat mixture. Return the squash to the oven for 15 minutes. Allow to cool before eating.

***The asparagus in the picture was steamed lightly and drizzled gently with olive oil.

Today's Food Log
BREAKFAST
4oz chicken
4 egg whites with spinach and mushroom
Coffee with dash of coconut milk

SNACK
Handful of cashews

LUNCH
1 Apple
1 cup shrimp cooked in coconut oil - added cayenne pepper, cilantro
Grande Americano with dash of heavy whip

SNACK
1 hard boiled egg

DINNER
2 cups patty pan squash
3 oz. Halibut, flavored with 1/2 a lime, 1/2 a jalapeno and cilantro

Today's Workout Log
OHS 5(115), 5(135), 5(145)PR!!
My 1RM before this workout was 140, so I was really happy with this. Need to find my new 1RM!

WOD: 9:46
500M Row
(5 Rounds for time of:
10 Kettlebell swings (heavy)
50 Single-unders)
400M Run

I used the 35lb KB to save my back, I haven't done these since before my injury. They felt good, I'll go higher next time. But wow, my arms were maxed out after the OHS's I think!

2 comments:

  1. OMG Suz!!!! I loved this recipe! Glenn and I tried it last night and it was awesome! Keep em coming girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh yay! So glad you liked it!! I'm obsessed with squash right now.

    ReplyDelete