Sunday, October 24, 2010

Pumpkin Curry with Chicken


Ingredients - Serves 2-4
2 chicken breasts, sliced
5 cups pumpkin, diced
2tbs olive oil
1 onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2tbs ground ginger
1tbs ground turmeric
2tbs ground coriander
2tbs ground cumin
1 ½ cups vegetable stock
1 bunch fresh coriander, chopped

If you want this SPICY
I also added 2 thai peppers (these are really thin and green, found in the pepper section with jalapenos)


Instructions
I diced the pumpkin first, because I didn't know how long this was going to take. I picked up a small Pumpkin at whole foods (the ones that are larger than the pumpkin in the photo above, but smaller than carving pumpkins). When you dice a pumpkin, cut it in half first, then de-seed and cute into quarters. This is when I began to peel with my knife (make sure it's sharp).

Fry onion and garlic in a large pan with oil on medium heat for 2minutes. Add chicken and cook stirring constantly for 10minutes or until chicken has turned white.

Add pumpkin, ginger, turmeric, coriander and cumin and stir for 1minute.

Add stock and leave to simmer on low heat for 15minutes. Add chopped coriander, cover pan and cook for a further 2minutes. Let cool slightly before serving.

Suggestions: I hate following recipes, but since it was my first time with this recipe, I thought I should follow it to get a feel for it. After completion, I realized the vegetable stock does not lend itself to the creamy curry that I am used to. Next time, I will probably add 1/2 the amount of vegetable stock and sub the offer half with light cocounut milk, or just go full on coconut milk. I'd also cut down the cumin and coriander because I thought it tasted a bit salty.

Overall a good recipe though and worth trying if you love curry!!

Today's Food Log
BREAKFAST
protein smoothie with blueberries, mango, almond milk and egg white protein powder

LUNCH
salad from whole foods (spinach, kale, beets, mushroom, roasted chicken, small amount of bacon, red cabbage, sunflower seeds, vinegar, dash of olive oil)
1 oz. sausage

DINNER
pumkpin chicken curry

I don't feel like I ate a TON today, but have felt really bloated for some reason. I'm wondering if it's the protein powder. Even though it's from Egg whites, it still has a small small amount of dairy.....I'm going to try and limit the use of protein powder moving forward in the challenge.

Today's Workout Log
10am class today.

3 x 10 Unbroken Power Snatch @ 65, 65, 75

4 Rounds for time of:
400m Run
10 Pull-ups
20 Wall balls @14lbs.


16:19

No comments:

Post a Comment