Monday, December 6, 2010

Cashew crusted Tilapia with sauteed garlic Kale


I bought tilapia this weekend in an attempt to buy something different with intentions to cook it differently than I have before. I've definitely been stuck in a salmon/halibut rut so I wanted to try something new. What's great about tilapia, is that it is a very bland fish which takes on whatever flavor you are cooking it with very well. I found a recipe online at grouprecipes.com that included cashews and modified it to make it paleo. The outcome was a deliciously mild toasted nut taste that complemented my garlic sauteed kale very nicely!

Ingredients
1/2 cup almond flour
1 1/2 tsp pepper (I used sparingly)
2 large eggs (I used egg whites)
2 cups finely chopped raw cashews (I found 1 cup to be plenty for two filets)
2 tilapia filets
2 Tbs butter (I used olive oil sparingly, because I was already getting plenty of fat from the cashews)
1 lemon halved

Using a fork, stir flour and pepper in large plate to blend. Whisk eggs in a medium bowl to blend. Place Cashews on a large plate. Dredge tilapia in flour mixture, then dip in eggs to coat. Press both sides of the fillet into the nuts.
Add oil in heavy skillet over medium heat. Add tilapia to skillet and cook until coating is lightly browned and fish is cooked through - about 5 min per side.
Place on a plate, squeeze a little lemon on it and serve.

Kale - clean and tear kale apart with your hands. Place in skillet with olive oil and saute it up! Add diced garlic, cayenne pepper and whateva else you want.

No comments:

Post a Comment